Being nice is one of those things that’s easy to say and hard to do. We all want to be seen as kind, caring people — but often, we fall short. Why is it so difficult to be consistently nice?
For starters, being nice requires effort. It’s not something that comes naturally to everyone. You have to be intentional about it, which means making a conscious choice to be kind and considerate, even when it’s not easy.
It can also be challenging to be nice if you’re feeling stressed or overwhelmed. When we’re under pressure, we tend to focus on our own needs and concerns, rather than those of others. This can make us seem self-centered and uninterested in the well-being of others.
Fortunately, there are things you can do to make it easier to be nice. Here are a few suggestions:
* Make a point to smile and say hello to people you see throughout the day. A simple act of kindness can brighten someone’s day and make them feel valued.
* Take the time to listen to someone when they’re talking to you. Show that you’re interested in what they have to say by making eye contact and asking questions.
* Do something nice for someone without expecting anything in return. Whether it’s holding the door open for a stranger or picking up a friend’s favorite coffee, random acts of kindness can make a big impact.
* Be patient and understanding, even when dealing with difficult people or situations. Everyone has bad days, so cut others some slack.
* Offer words of encouragement and support, especially to those who are going through a tough time. A kind word can go a long way in making someone feel better.
The popular weird-Western, historical-fantasy/science fiction podcast, The Strange and Astounding Memoirs of Watt O’Hugh, starring Sal Rendino, returns for a full season, with eight new episodes!
And what are things that you should avoid?
* Don’t be a doormat. It’s important to be nice, but you shouldn’t let people take advantage of you. Know your limits and don’t hesitate to say no if you’re feeling uncomfortable.
* Don’t gossip or spread rumors about others. This can damage relationships and hurt people’s feelings.
* Avoid putting others down, even in a joking way. This can make people feel bad about themselves and damage your relationship with them.
* Don’t complain all the time. No one likes a Negative Nelly. Try to focus on the positive things in your life and be grateful for what you have.
Practicing these tips can help you become a nicer person – and make the world a little bit kinder place in the process.
Making an effort to be nice is worth it, even if it doesn’t come naturally. When you’re kind and caring to others, you not only make their day better – you make your own day better, too. So next time you’re feeling stressed or down, remember that a little bit of kindness can go a long way.
Content and image by Audere.