First dates can be a lot of fun, but they can also be really nerve-wracking. We all want to make a good first impression on our date. But sometimes, in our efforts to impress, we end up doing things that are the opposite of attractive. If you want to make a good impression on your date, it’s important to avoid doing anything that could ruin things. Keep these tips in mind, and you’ll be sure to have a successful outing!
1. Don’t be late. Nothing says “I don’t care about you” like showing up late for your date. If you’re running behind, call and let your date know. They’ll appreciate the heads up, and it will show them that you value their time.
2. Don’t talk about your ex. This is a surefire way to make your date feel uncomfortable and like they’re competing with someone from your past. If you can’t seem to stop talking about your ex, it’s probably best to cancel the date altogether.
3. Don’t get too drunk. It’s okay to have a drink or two on a first date, but don’t overdo it. Getting drunk will not only make you look bad, but it might also make your date feel unsafe.
4. Don’t be negative. Nobody wants to spend their time with someone who is always complaining or putting down others. If you’re feeling negative, try to focus on the positive aspects of your life and the conversation at hand.
5. Don’t be rude to waitstaff or other people you encounter. Your date will be watching to see how you treat others, and rudeness is a major turn-off.
6. Don’t talk about sex! This is a first date, not a hook-up. Keep the conversation PG and save the naughty talk for later.
7. Don’t spend the whole time on your phone. It’s fine to check it once in a while, but if you’re constantly on your phone, it will make your date feel like they’re not important to you.
8. Don’t bring up controversial topics. Religion and politics are usually best avoided on a first date, as they have the potential to cause arguments and hard feelings.
9. Don’t be afraid to be yourself. Be honest about who you are, what you like, and what you’re looking for in a relationship. If you try to be someone you’re not, it will only be a matter of time before your date finds out.
10. Don’t forget to have fun! A first date is an opportunity to get to know someone new and potentially start a relationship. But it’s also supposed to be enjoyable, so make sure you’re having fun too!
The popular weird-Western, historical-fantasy/science fiction podcast, The Strange and Astounding Memoirs of Watt O’Hugh, starring Sal Rendino, returns for a full season, with eight new episodes!
11. Don’t talk about your problems. First dates are supposed to be fun and carefree. If you start talking about your problems, it will only bring the mood down and make your date feel like they need to fix them for you.
12. Don’t be a know-it-all. Nobody likes a know-it-all. Be open to hearing what your date has to say and learning new things from them.
13. Don’t brag about yourself. A little bit of self-promotion is okay, but don’t go overboard. Nobody likes a bragging, egotistical person.
15. Don’t be too forward. Making sexual advances on a first date is a major turn-off for most people. If you want to see your date again, it’s best to keep things platonic on the first outing.
16. Don’t ask personal questions. First dates are usually pretty surface level, so you don’t want to get too personal too quickly. If you start asking your date about their past relationships or family drama, it’s going to make them uncomfortable.
17. Don’t ghost them afterwards! If you had a good time on your date, make sure you let your date know. And if you’re not interested in seeing them again, be honest about that too. There’s nothing worse than being ghosted after a first date.
If you follow these simple tips, you’ll be sure to have a successful first date. Just relax and be yourself, and you’re sure to find love!
Content by Audere Magazine